Sunday, July 22, 2012

How we told...

At this point just about everyone knows we are expecting in September, but I wanted to document how we shared our news with family and friends earlier this year.

Temp
On Thursday, January 5, 2012, I was in Huntsville visiting my sister when I found out I was pregnant. Temp was in Montgomery. We weren't going to be together again until Saturday when we met in Memphis for a wedding shower for Henson and Caroline. And then I was going back to Huntsville to spend more time with Jessica and watch the National Championship game. Although I wanted to tell Temp in person, I decided I couldn't wait, and also thought he'd want to know right away. So, Thursday night I sent him a text saying "Guess what?" After he had fun guessing silly things, I finally sent him a picture text of the positive test. Of course, he called right away and we talked and shared a sweet moment on the phone. It was hard not to be with him to see him face though, so hopefully next time we will be together!

Family
After we went to the doctor and they confirmed that I was, in fact, with child, we sent the following picture to my parents on January 20, 2012:

(Millie and Lucy)

They were in Huntsville visiting Jessica and she knew to video them when they got the text. Here is a portion of that video.



After we talked to my parents, we texted the same picture to Temp's parents and waited to hear from them. And waited...and waited. Finally we started calling them and no one answered. We called Allen, and I think that is when they called us back. They were at dinner and had their phones put away, but we finally talked to them.

Laura's Birmingham Friends
Every year my friends and I take a trip, usually to the beach, during President's Day weekend in February. When we took our trip this year I was only 11 weeks pregnant and not telling people yet. But I knew I couldn't spend a whole weekend with these girls not drinking without them noticing. So the first night we got there, February 17, 2012, before dinner, I had my sister take a picture of us all. Instead of "say cheese," she said "everyone say Laura's pregnant!" Then she did some rapid fire picture taking. Here are two of the best ones.

(Suzanne, Emma, me, Kate)



Laura's Charlottesville Friends
On February 24, 2012, a group of girlfriends were having drinks at Zinc restaurant for a few of their birthdays. I arrived early explain to the waiter and bartender that I needed cranberry juice or something that looks like wine. They were all very happy to play along. Near the end of our time at the restaurant, I got everyone's attention and made the following announcement: "I have a confession to make. This is not wine that I'm drinking. It's cranberry juice because I'm pregnant!" 

Temp's Friends
Temp called all of his close friends to tell them our news. Most of his conversations went something like this: "I'll graduate in May, we'll move back to Birmingham in June, I'll start work in July, and we'll have a baby in September." 

Finding out the Gender
We had our 20 week ultrasound on April 24, 2012. We took an envelope and piece of paper to the ultrasound and had the tech write the gender on the paper and seal the envelope. We opened the envelope that night before going out to eat for Temp's birthday dinner. Here's what we found:


You can barely see it, but it says "It's a Girl!" 

Gender Reveal for our Parents
Once we opened the envelope, I had a few phone calls to make. I had already lined up for a friend's mom in Florence and a bakery in Montgomery to make gender reveal cakes for our parents. I had to call and tell them to put pink inside! The cakes were delivered the next day, April 25, 2012, which was also Temp's birthday. Here is the Florence cake.


Thanks to Judy Atkins for making this adorable cake!

When Mrs. Atkins delivered the cakes she stuck around to take pictures with my mom's camera. And my parents and I used Facetime so I could see their reactions. It was fun! 

Here is the Montgomery cake:



Temple and Allen were home when Kathryn delivered the cake. Susu was in the car on the way to the beach with friends. Temple sent her a picture of the outside of the cake, then cut the cake and sent her a picture of the inside. He confessed to us that he waited a few minutes in between pictures just to make it fun! 

Gender Reveal for Friends
April 25, 2012: For Temp's birthday we had planned a dinner at Wild Wing Cafe in Charlottesville with friends. I made these cute scratch off cards and took them for a fun way to reveal the gender to our friends.




We also mailed these out to our friends in Alabama and other places! We had a great time hearing who guessed right!! 

Since these reveals everyone has been so supportive and helpful! We have the best family and friends. We can't wait to share our daughter with all of them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment