"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" -Ecclesiastes 3:1
A year and a half. 18 months. 78 weeks. 545 days. This is how long Temp and I have been praying a specific prayer every day for the Lord to bless us with a child. We made the decision to start 'trying' (I hate that term.) when we moved to Charlottesville in August of 2010. We had some hiccups along the way but finally in the Spring of 2011, my body was back on track and everything was working right. Then it became a month to month waiting game. March passed. And April. Finally May. We decided that we would take the summer 'off.' Some of you know from experience it will drive you crazy if you let it. We just wanted to relax and enjoy the summer. Or at least that's what I said I wanted, but of course I couldn't stop thinking about it. June. July. When we moved back to Charlottesville in August, the doctor said everything was still fine and it might just take a while. August. September. October. Another hiccup. November. Finally December. I had as much as given up and was enjoying our holiday cocktail parties. January. It finally happened. We couldn't believe it. It just couldn't be true. But the doctor confirmed it and we called our parents!
The bible story of Sarah and Abraham instantly comes to mind, doesn't it. I would often think 'If she can wait that long...' I'd be lying if I said there weren't times my faith wavered a little. There were several, but overall our faith held strong. We knew God had a glorious plan for us and all we had to do was be patient and receive it. And I'm here to tell you this: "I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him." -1 Samuel 1:27
I hope this can be encouragement to those of you who are having difficulty. We had pressure to try more treatments from the doctor, to get a second opinion, or to switch doctors. But Temp and I never felt the pressure from above to do any of those things. All we were hearing from the Lord was to wait. My best advice to those in a similar situation is to pray, listen, and do what He says. We live in a world where you go out and get what you want when you want it, so it may not be easy to follow what the Lord says, but just remember that Sarah tried to manipulate her situation to have a child and it didn't work.
We are so thrilled to start a family in September. It will be the first grandchild on both sides and our family is just ecstatic. Thank you for all of your support and prayers. They worked! :)
A year and a half. 18 months. 78 weeks. 545 days. This is how long Temp and I have been praying a specific prayer every day for the Lord to bless us with a child. We made the decision to start 'trying' (I hate that term.) when we moved to Charlottesville in August of 2010. We had some hiccups along the way but finally in the Spring of 2011, my body was back on track and everything was working right. Then it became a month to month waiting game. March passed. And April. Finally May. We decided that we would take the summer 'off.' Some of you know from experience it will drive you crazy if you let it. We just wanted to relax and enjoy the summer. Or at least that's what I said I wanted, but of course I couldn't stop thinking about it. June. July. When we moved back to Charlottesville in August, the doctor said everything was still fine and it might just take a while. August. September. October. Another hiccup. November. Finally December. I had as much as given up and was enjoying our holiday cocktail parties. January. It finally happened. We couldn't believe it. It just couldn't be true. But the doctor confirmed it and we called our parents!
The bible story of Sarah and Abraham instantly comes to mind, doesn't it. I would often think 'If she can wait that long...' I'd be lying if I said there weren't times my faith wavered a little. There were several, but overall our faith held strong. We knew God had a glorious plan for us and all we had to do was be patient and receive it. And I'm here to tell you this: "I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him." -1 Samuel 1:27
I hope this can be encouragement to those of you who are having difficulty. We had pressure to try more treatments from the doctor, to get a second opinion, or to switch doctors. But Temp and I never felt the pressure from above to do any of those things. All we were hearing from the Lord was to wait. My best advice to those in a similar situation is to pray, listen, and do what He says. We live in a world where you go out and get what you want when you want it, so it may not be easy to follow what the Lord says, but just remember that Sarah tried to manipulate her situation to have a child and it didn't work.
We are so thrilled to start a family in September. It will be the first grandchild on both sides and our family is just ecstatic. Thank you for all of your support and prayers. They worked! :)
Congrats Laura! I am so happy for you both and am amazed by your unwavering faith! The Lord blesses those who are faithful. HOpe you are feeling great! Take care
ReplyDelete