As you may or may not know, we are in Peoria, IL for the summer. Temp is doing an internship with Caterpillar, Inc. Although we weren't excited about the location, the internship is a really great opportunity for Temp and we were excited about that.
When we started telling people we were coming to Peoria for the summer, no one could get the name right. We heard everything from Pia (not sure if that is a city in the US, but it is the airport code for Peoria) to Poughkeepsie (which is in NY), even Quincy (which IS in Illinois).
We found a minimally furnished house in Peoria, and Temp moved 2 weeks before I did. I had to finish school in Charlottesville and take the dogs to Florence. When I finally made it, I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the town. This is what I learned: If you're not excited to move somewhere, have the lowest expectations of that place. Then when you move, it will be better than you thought. If Peoria was in the South, I would have no problem living here for a while. But since there is snow on the ground from October to April, I am glad we are only staying for a summer.
The town of Peoria tests its tornado sirens on Tuesday morning at 10:00. Let me tell you how I found out...
I set out for a walk/run today around 10:00. If you've ever walked with me, you know I have a problem walking straight. I tend to bump into things pretty much all the time. Well today I was walking and brushed a car with my arm that was parked on the side of the road. And, as you might guess, about the time I brushed the car the city started testing its tornado sirens! And the tower must be right behind our house because it was LOUD! I nearly passed out thinking the car alarm was going off. And that's when my walk turned into a run. Haha! No I'm kidding. I figured out it was the tornado sirens.
I'll leave you with a picture of our precious dogs. I bought new dogs beds when I was in Florence and here is a picture of them that night. How can you not love these precious dogs?
When we started telling people we were coming to Peoria for the summer, no one could get the name right. We heard everything from Pia (not sure if that is a city in the US, but it is the airport code for Peoria) to Poughkeepsie (which is in NY), even Quincy (which IS in Illinois).
We found a minimally furnished house in Peoria, and Temp moved 2 weeks before I did. I had to finish school in Charlottesville and take the dogs to Florence. When I finally made it, I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the town. This is what I learned: If you're not excited to move somewhere, have the lowest expectations of that place. Then when you move, it will be better than you thought. If Peoria was in the South, I would have no problem living here for a while. But since there is snow on the ground from October to April, I am glad we are only staying for a summer.
The town of Peoria tests its tornado sirens on Tuesday morning at 10:00. Let me tell you how I found out...
I set out for a walk/run today around 10:00. If you've ever walked with me, you know I have a problem walking straight. I tend to bump into things pretty much all the time. Well today I was walking and brushed a car with my arm that was parked on the side of the road. And, as you might guess, about the time I brushed the car the city started testing its tornado sirens! And the tower must be right behind our house because it was LOUD! I nearly passed out thinking the car alarm was going off. And that's when my walk turned into a run. Haha! No I'm kidding. I figured out it was the tornado sirens.
I'll leave you with a picture of our precious dogs. I bought new dogs beds when I was in Florence and here is a picture of them that night. How can you not love these precious dogs?

No comments:
Post a Comment