Monday, August 30, 2010

Broken phone and new job

My phone won't work. I have been to the Apple store twice (in Richmond, about an hour away!) and I still have a broken phone! They have ordered me a new one and said 3-4 days. That was Wednesday (that was 4 days ago). If you are trying to call or text me, don't bother. It won't work. Even if I get it to turn on, it isn't on very long before it just turns off again. It is very frustrating.

Other than a broken phone, we have has a great week! It was the first week of classes for Temp and it seemed to last forever. I didn't see him very much until Thursday. We went to eat with Temp's learning team on Thursday night. There are 6 people in his learning team including him. Two are from Alabama, one from Georgia, one from Louisiana, one from Mexico and one from Asia. It's funny that 4 of the 6 are from the south! 

Friday night we went to an event at Farmington Country Club. They are offering a new type of membership for graduate students. There were some other people there that we knew, so we had a good time. If we were to join, it probably wouldn't be this fall because Temp is so busy. 

Saturday we went to the Darden Luau. Temp had a cold, so we didn't stay long, but we heard there was karaoke later in the night! 

Sunday we went to Trinity Pres. again. We got there a little late and had to sit in the side room. We will never do that again because there were tons of kids who were being loud and it was hard to see. We learned our lesson to arrive at this church early! 

Sunday night Temp's learning team came to our house to study. They are going to rotate houses on Sundays to have a change of scenery. I cooked them chicken parmesan and had ice cream for dessert. Next time I may order pizza so I can do some work myself! :)

Now, let me tell you about my job. There are a few families who are starting a Classical Christian School here in Charlottesville. This will be their first year and I am going to be their main teacher. There are about 7 students ranging 2nd through 6th grades and I will have them all in one classroom. There are 2 other ladies who are going to help me teach on alternating days of the week. We have 3 small rooms in the basement of a church. We are very excited about this endeavor, but know it will be challenging. I am learning all new curriculum because obviously Classical Christian school follows different curriculum than a public school. The most exciting of all the new curriculum is a book called Mystery of History. It teaches world history and bible history "side by side." Even I am going to learn a lot from this book. This first year  of this school will have more of a home school environment. We will be doing some things all together and some things in separate small groups of 1 or 2. I am also excited because this job is going to be very flexible in many ways. I have a great schedule, which is important if Temp and I want to visit family and friends often. 

Millie and Lucy got to play with Paxton (the puppy next door) on Saturday. Our neighbor, Helen, was outside and we talked her into putting Paxton in our yard. Within about 5 minutes, Paxton had dumped the water bowl and bitten a hole in it, jumped on me 3 times so I was covered with mud, and jumped on Temp once. The dogs had fun playing together, but it reminds me what puppies are like...tiring!!

1 comment:

  1. The new job sounds SO exciting, Laura! I can't wait for future updates about this. I also think that book "Mystery of History" sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete