Well, where do I start? We went to Chicago. Yes, the Taylor's took a family trip. We had an excellent trip planner (me!) and by the time the trip was over, we were all worn out! Anyone who knows our family well, or has ever been on a trip with us, can probably guess how this trip went. I will tell the story anyway.
The trip started on Tuesday night when Mom and Dad flew into Chicago. I picked them up at the airport and Dad insisted that he control the GPS. He typed in the hotel address, but then wouldn't put the GPS on the holder attached to the windshield where the driver (me!) could see it. He wanted to call out the directions. Let me pause the story here and give a little background info about my Dad. He has adult ADD to the worst degree. Here's how the conversation went:
Dad: Oh...it's saying make a u-turn. You must have missed a turn.
Me: Well, I can't see the GPS and you are supposed to be telling me where to go. Don't you just want to put it on the holder so I can see it.
Dad: No. Turn left here and turn around. (This is said as I am already turning around in all the traffic of Cicero Ave.)
(Mom's in the backseat and can't hear us.)
Mom: Why are we turning around? I thought we were going to the hotel.
Me: Dad is controlling the GPS. (This seems to be reason enough for all the madness, so Mom doesn't ask any more questions.)
We pull up to a redlight and are stopped in traffic.
Dad: You should turn left at this redlight.
Me: What? I'm in the straight lane and surrounded by cars. Why didn't you tell me as we were approaching the redlight so I could get over. (This comment was said in my teacher tone, as in what he should do next time to avoid a situation like this.)
Somehow I manage to turn left, and that's when we realize the GPS is taking us back to the airport parking garage.
Me: Dad, this isn't right. We are back at the airport.
Dad: Well, crap. (Or other expletive.)
Mom: This isn't right. This is the airport parking lot.
Me: Yes, we know. We are trying to fix it.
At this point, Dad puts in the correct address to the hotel and places the GPS on the holder so I can see it.
Dad: This is why I don't trust these things. You make fun of me for using paper maps, but at least they are reliable.
Me: It was a user error, not a GPS error.
We then proceed to drive through a not so great neighborhood to get back to the main road, and the whole time Dad is saying things like "I've only been here 15 minutes and I'm already in the ghetto." At least it was still daylight, which made Mom and I feel a little safer.
These kinds of shenanigans happened most of the weekend, but the rest are the types of stories that are only funny if you were there. The "you had to be there" stories. I won't bore you with them.
Once we make it to the hotel, we dropped our bags in our room and drove down the street to Giordano's, a deep dish pizza place. During dinner, as I'm in the middle of telling a story, I look up and see both of my parents playing on their smart phones. I should have taken a picture of this. It was the perfect example of generation reversal.
WEDNESDAY
On Wednesday, we drove to Peoria. I basically forced my parents to come to Peoria. I think they were pleasantly surprised by the size but when we saw everything there is to see in a 1/2 of a day, they were ready to leave and get to Chicago (the real reason for the trip).
THURSDAY
Thursday morning, we got on a train in Bloomington and made it to Chicago by 10:15. With the help our our excellent tour guide (me!), we jumped in a cab and made it to our hotel to drop off our bags, this time without a hitch! We stayed at the Westin on Michigan Ave. It was a great location. We walked around the Magnificent Mile and found a place for lunch. We the hopped on the El and took it out to Oak Park, IL to see Frank Lloyd Wright's house and studio. Oak Park is the cutest little suburb. Right by the El there is little downtown strip of stores and a park. It was about a 15 minute walk through a neighborhood from the El to FLW's house. We passed the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway along the way.
The house and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright was amazing to see. (
http://gowright.org/) Thanks to our trip planner (me!), we had tickets to a tour at 2:20. Then we toured the neighborhood ourselves with a map of all the other houses in the area that he built. By the end, we could pretty much pick them out. He has a very distinct style. I am sad Temp didn't get to do this with us. He would've really liked it.
 |
| Frank Lloyd Wright's house |
 |
| Another house built by Frank Lloyd Wright |
That night for dinner, we ate at Hugo's Frog Bar. (
http://www.hugosfrogbar.com/) This came highly recommended by others who visited Chicago. It was a fun place. Jessica got on the earlier flight, so she was able to meet us at the restaurant. Hugo's is in an area nicknamed the Viagra Triangle. There are lots of other restaurants and bars in this area.
FRIDAY
Friday we woke up early, ate breakfast, and made the 20 minute walk to the cultural center for our Chicago Greeter tour. (
www.chicagogreeter.com) Chicago Greeter is a program that coordinates free tours from a volunteer who lives in the city. You have to sign up in advance in order to guarantee a tour. Our tour guide's name was Carol Bryant. She was a virbrant lady who had lived in the city most of her life. She took us through the cultural center building, which was beautiful!
 |
| Recently revealed statute of Marilyn Monroe we passed on our walk to the cultural center |
 |
| This is one of the beautiful domes they have in the cultural center. |
And then we rode the El to an area of Chicago called Old Town. As we walked, Carol told us the history of the area and what some of the houses where originally built for. We then toured an area called the Golden Coast, which houses some of the largest, most expensive houses in Chicago. We hopped on a bus and rode it back to the Magnificent Mile, where we treated Carol to a burger at the Billy Goat Tavern. You might remember the SNL skit about this place.
 |
| This sign is outside the Billy Goat Tavern |
At 2:30, we did an architecture tour by boat. There are several companies that do this in Chicago. We chose Wendella. (
www.wendellaboats.com) There are some tours where you visit the river and the lake. Ours was a tour of just the river. It was wonderful. Our guide, Mallory, was enthusiastic and funny. I highly recommend this if you visit Chicago.
 |
| Before the boat ride |
 |
| View of the city from the boat |
 |
| Sears Tower |
 |
| After the boat ride |
For dinner that night, we ate at Twin Anchors in Old Town. This restaurant has been in several movies, and despite it's dumpy appearance on the outside, has the best ribs in Chicago. Then we walked the few blocks to The Second City studio, where we had tickets to see The Sky's the Limit, a comedy show. (
www.secondcity.com) It was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Temp drove up from Peoria while we were in the show, and afterwards we met him for a drink.
 |
| Jessica and me outside The Second City |
 |
| After the show |
 |
| Look! It's Jessica...again...in my blog! |
SATURDAY
We rode the El to Wrigleyville for the Cubs game! We had a blast at the game, even if the Cubs are awful and lost 3-13 against the Marlins.
 |
| Go Cubs! |
 |
| Inside Wrigley Field |
 |
| Dad in Wrigley Field |
We even saw a very rare sighting of a double bumpit.
 |
| best. bumpit. ever. |
After the game we found the Official Alabama Bar, Houndstooth Saloon, which was situated right under the tracks for the El. We made up a new drinking game called the El.
 |
| Roll Tide! |
 |
| The El tracks |
Late in the afternoon, we went to Navy Pier. (
http://www.navypier.com/) There is so much to see and do here! We ate dinner at Harry Caray's Tavern, then strolled down to the beer garden to find a table for the fireworks happening later. On our way, we saw a cruise boat on fire. Navy Pier has boats lined all up one side taking people out for dinner cruises and other things. This was a dinner cruise boat. They were evacuating people and then the fire trucks drove onto Navy Pier and the fire boats and coast guard showed up. The police started asking people to go inside the building. The next day we read that it was an engine fire. I guess they were afraid it might blow up. Luckily, the only things that blew up were the fireworks!
 |
| Navy Pier |
 |
| Boat on fire |
 |
| Temp, Most Awesomsist Tour Guide/ Trip Planner Ever, Jessica, Mom, Dad |
 |
| Watching the horrible 80s cover band at the beer garden |
SUNDAY
By Sunday, we were all worn out and just wanted to rest. We went to the Sears Tower (http://www.the-skydeck.com/) and then to Millenium Park (
http://explorechicago.org/city/en/millennium.html)
to see the bean and the faces in the water feature. We ate lunch in the Viagra Triangle at Tavern on Rush. They had great food.
 |
| Mom, Jessica, and Laura in the Skydeck at Sears Tower |
 |
| Dad and Temp in the Skydeck at Sears Tower |
 |
| The Bean |
After lunch, we were all so tired, we drove up and down Lakeshore Drive, just to see the sights, and we drove to and around Soldier Field. Then we took Mom, Dad, and Jessica to the airport and Temp and I drove home.
We had a blast in Chicago with my family. I know I will cherish these memories forever. Thanks again Mom, Dad, Jessica, and Temp for a really fun weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment